Humidity is defined as the moisture content present in an air mass. Relative humidity is the ratio of the amount of water vapor the air can hold as a specific temperature. The higher the humidity, the higher the chance that condensation can occur. For instance, 100% relative humidity means the air cannot hold any more moisture and we get rain.
It is interesting that different materials can have different surface temperatures. A cooler surface in a warm, humid climate, will cause water to condense. We’ve all seen this happen when a cold can of a soft drink begins to bead and drip on a warm summer day. The important factor here is to understand that various surfaces in your home may draw condensation and provide ideal environments for mold to grow.
Many every day activities can increase the relative humidity in your home:
• Showering and bathing
• Shampooing carpets
Other conditions can also cause the moisture in your home to rise:
• Roof leak
• Lack of proper ventilation in roofs or for appliances
• Insufficient insulation
• Plumbing failures
• Damp basements
Here are some ways to reduce relative humidity indoors:
• Vent appliances properly to the outside
• Make sure your roof is properly vented (roofs need to breathe, too)
• Use fans to circulate the air
• Use a dehumidifier
• Leave a gap between furniture and exterior walls
• Repair all plumbing or roof leaks immediately
• Properly insulate exterior walls and attics
• Get rid of unnecessary water sources (fountains, aquariums, plants, etc.)
Even if you do everything right, something can still go wrong and mold can get a foothold in your home. When that happens, treat affected areas using MoldOff.
MoldOff is a green, eco-friendly, pH neutral and biodegradable mold removal product. The product is safe to humans and pets yet cleans better than the other harsh products on the market, and it won’t cause any dangerous health issues. Best of all, MoldOff doesn’t require a lot of hard work. Just spray it on affected surfaces and walk away. MoldOff will do the work for you!