25 May 2012

The Danger of Water Damage and Mold

In 2005, the National Resources Defense Council conducted a study of homes in New Orleans that had been flooded. Their results showed that these homes had high levels of mold spores, even in homes that had been repaired and treated for mold. Sadly, the cost for mold removal is estimated to run between $2,500 and $3,500 per wall, which doesn’t include replacing carpet, flooring, or furniture affected by the water. That’s why catching water damage in the early stages is critical, especially for your budget.

Water leaks can come from almost any place in your home including:

  • Around windows and doors. Insulating around doors and windows is a good idea to prevent rain or snow melt from entering your home.
  • Ruptures to plumbing and household appliances. Fix these immediately and get rid of any items that may have absorbed water — particularly drywall, carpeting and carpet padding, which are nearly impossible to dry out.
  • Flooding and sewer backup. It’s probably a good idea to call in the experts under these conditions. Severe flooding and sewer backup causes not just visible damage, but also causes water to get into the structural areas of your home.
  • Leaks in the foundation. Make sure your landscaping slopes away from your home so water won’t pool against the walls. In addition, install gutters on your home and channel water through downspouts away from the foundation.
  • Roof leaks. Fix leaking roofs immediately. It is a good idea to replace insulation that has gotten wet, and to check that roof supported have not been saturated.
  • Moisture condensation. Moisture condensation is caused by warm air coming into contact with cooler surfaces. One way to prevent this is to make sure the areas of your home (like basements) that contain water pipes and sewer systems, are heated to 60 degrees. This will prevent condensation and reduce the chances that mold will grow.

If your home does develop mold, try tackling the problem with MoldOff. MoldOff  kills mold at its roots, unlike bleach, which only removes surface mold, leaving it free to grow again. MoldOff works on any surface in your home – from carpet to tile, wood to cloth. It contains no chlorine bleach and is environmentally friendly and biodegradable so it is safe for the environment, children and pets.

[top]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>